Tuesday, May 3, 2016

The Forgotten Child

Welcome to my Lost Yesterdays Blog.  I plan to share my experiences with a parent who has Alzheimer's.  My Mother is in the second stage of the disease and I feel like I lose more of her every day.  I also feel like she forgets more and more about me every day.

My Mother used to be the type of person who only sees good in others.  She would even make excuses for people when they would be rude or disruptive.  My Mother now sees conspiracies and plots everywhere.  Her mind creates scenarios and "new" memories all the time.

The reason this post is titled forgotten child is because more and more often my Mother forgets seeing me and speaking to me.  We share a house so we are together every day.  My office and hobbies are all located upstairs.  My Mother watches television and does her word search puzzles while snuggling with the dog on the couch downstairs.  Several times per day I will go downstairs and chat with my Mother.  She never remembers our conversations.  Every time I go downstairs she thinks she is seeing me for the first time at that point in the day.  Before I realized it was Alzhimer's Disease attacking her mind I would get frustrated.  I kept thinking, "why can't she remember what we had planned for dinner - we just talked about it."  She also has a tendency to say "I was talking to someone and they said [fill in the statement]."  She will be telling me about something "I" said to her in a previous conversation.  However, she does not connect me to the conversation.  It saddens me and sometimes scares me to see the vacant look in her eyes.  What is worse is, I know her mind will continue to deteriorate even further.

If you have had similar experiences, please feel free to comment below.


No comments:

Post a Comment